Monday, January 27, 2014

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today we met Kaelyn for the first time.


She has changed our lives in so many ways.


One year ago we learned that the child we were adopting was not the typically developing girl portrayed to us in her file. We faced the decision of whether or not to proceed with her adoption. Obviously, we did. And I praise God everyday for her.

That first week in China was scary. She spent most of her time in the hotel rubbing her fingers against the wall or chair. We discovered that she could not drink from a cup, and her communication skills were almost non-existent. Playing was something she knew nothing about.


Once home, we made slow progress. Doctors have evaluated Kaelyn and therapy's have been attended. Step by step we have seen a beautiful butterfly emerge from her cocoon.


Kaelyn has begun to initiate conversation. Questions are being asked. Statements are being made. She has become stronger and more confident. Learning has begun. The once vacant look in her eyes has disappeared, and vibrant eyes have taken their place.


There are days when I am unsure whether she will ever be independent. She may not. However, she is showing me everyday to not underestimate her. Jon and I will continue, with the Lord's help, to help her reach her fullest potential. In the process, I expect to see God's hand at work. God's glory will be shown through this little girl's life. I am so excited to be the mama He chose to witness this little miracle.




January 26, 2013

December 2013
I want to take a moment and thank some special people in Kaelyn's life. I'm not sure if they would ever read my blog, but I wanted to acknowledge those that changed her life.


Bev- Thank you for noticing Kaelyn in the orphanage two years ago and bringing her to your foster home. God worked through you to give this precious child a new start in life. Thank you for fighting for her. Thank you for finding ways to improve her life. God heard your prayers.




Nannys- Thank you for loving our girl so completely for a year and a half. Thank you for teaching her to take care of herself, feed herself, and begin to speak. I know it wasn't easy. I'm sure there were moments when it seemed like she would never learn. Thank you for praying and fighting for her. 

Loren- Thank you for devoting so much of your time in China with our sweet Angel. Thank you for your stories and insight into her past. You have given her precious memories that we will treasure forever. Thank you for praying for her. 


A thank you, also, to the many people around the world who prayed that our sweet girl would find a family. We are so blessed that she is ours.









2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous update on your dear daughter and a lovely tribute to those who have made a difference in her life. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can't believe it's been a year. I mean I'm only a blog and Facebook follower, but I still remember praying before and during your travel and following along. You are blessed and she is amazing. Praising the Lord for a year of growth for her and your family.

    ReplyDelete